Sunday, July 8, 2012

Chick Magnet

So guess what, I gots baby chickens!  Back in June my chicken Lady Gaga went broody.  Basically that means she starts stealing all the eggs and sitting on them.  She wanted to be a mom.  The only problem is that we gots no rooster, so all that work Lady Gaga was doing was for nothing!  So we gots 6 eggs from a farm so that Lady Gaga could be a surrogate mom. (Lady is grumpy because I guess eggs aren't comfy when you sits on them?)

So she sat on the eggs for what was suppose to be 21 days. But on Day #19! The first little monster was born.
Come the morning 4/6 eggs were hatched and when Dad gots home the first chick had jumped it's barrier and was running around the coop with the rest of the adult chickens - NOT GOOD.  Fortunately the chick wasn't hurt and we moved Lady and the 4 babies to a temporary coop.  Chick #5 had hatched but since Lady Gaga was running around with first chicken she had ignored it.  So Chick #5 and Egg #6 came inside for the night.  After 36 hours chick #6 didn't make it but Chick #5 was healthy as could be.
 We reintroduced chick #5 to Lady Gaga and she pecked it!  So after reading some stuff about it online at nighttime the hoomans snuck the 5th chick under Lady Gaga when she was sleeping.  The next morning she had 5 babies instead of 4 and happy as could be.  Chickens are stoopid, they can't count.  Meet the babies:
Chicken #1 and #2
Chicken #3, #4, and #5

Lady Gaga and her babies, they are growing fast.
 So I is raising more babies but I can't keeps them all.  We can't keeps any if they are boys and we only have room for 2 girls.  So, when they are older and we can tell what they are 3 babies will go to another family.  Momma's favorite is the brown chick#5 so hopefully that is a girl :)

Oh and a picture of me cause this is my blog!  Isn't my new snake stuffy pawesome!

9 comments:

  1. Oh Tucker you are so lucky to have chickies to watch grow... Maybe they will ALL be girrrrls.
    THEY are really CUTE. Keep us posted on their pawgress.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tucker, Dude! You are the most awesome chick magnet around!

    Sam and Pippen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good to see you, Tucker. That is so funny about Lady Gaga waking up to one more chick. We too hope they are all girls, couldn't you keep all of them?

    Woos - Phantom, Thunder, Ciara, and Lightning

    ReplyDelete
  4. Chickens are SO fun!! Nice to see you Tucker!

    -Bart and Ruby

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tuck, you are far nicer than I would be... I would like a sniff and a ... a taste of the chickens...Momma just gave me the evil eye. I guess these chickens are not for eating ha?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Tucker!
    Wow, great job not bashing those little peeping chicks! I'm impressed. Gosh, they really are so very cute! Keep those pix coming...and your snakie stuffie is FABULOUS!
    BTW: Hope to see you enter my olympic swimming event. You'd be great!
    Grr and Woof,
    Sarge, COP

    ReplyDelete
  7. OMD, I LOOOOVES Lady Gaga's mohawk thingy! I wished I could do my hair likes dat.
    I bet her thoughts Santy Claws had come to see her in da night when her wokes up and hads an extra chicken...but hers prolly didn't even realize it...hehehehe.
    I found a frog today and my brudder tolded me to lick it...and I has no idea why I just telled you dat.

    Puddles

    ReplyDelete
  8. Squeeeeee, oh those little chickies are so cute. Mum had chickens when she was a little peep and had a pet one who was a girl but she called it Fred. Go figure! Anyhoo thanks for sharing. No worries, and love, Stella and Rory

    ReplyDelete